From the studio album Go to Heaven released in 1980. And the Dead had to record a studio album before they were allowed to release another live one, and this is a band that you had to see live. A Grateful Dead studio recording is only a little taste of the band, to get the full flavour you had to be there.
«Althea» became the favourite of concerts and considered one of the best songs by the lads. Actually Stereogum considers it the fifth best Grateful Dead song.
Here is the studio version:
And the live version from 1981:
Now just to remind those who may not recall, here are ten things that were happening in the world back in 1981…
- First Greece enters the European Union.
- A suspect named Peter Sutcliffe was arrested by British police suspected of being the «Yorkshire ripper’.
- Ronald Reagan took the oath of office as President of the United States.
- Coup attempt takes place in Spain when Colonel Antonio Tejero Molina and members of the Guardia Civil storm the congress. There were no injuries to anyone.
- US President Reagan survives an assassination attempt.
- First space shuttle mission is launched in the US, the «Columbia».
- Bobby Sands dies in a British prison after 66 days of hunger strike. He was 27 years old and represented the IRA.
- François Mitterrand wins in France.
- MTV launches its first transmission with the video by The Buggles, «Video Killed the Radio Star».
- On the 6th of October in Egypt, President Anwar el-Sadat is assassinated.